Thai beef noodle soup
Tuck into this steaming bowl of goodness that takes just minutes to prepare.
Ingredients (serves 2 to 4):
A bunch of coriander, with leaves, stems and roots
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tbsp chopped garlic
8 cups water
1 beef stock cube
2 tbsp Bovril
2 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp light soya sauce
2 spring onions, chopped
150g rice noodle sticks, soaked for at least 8 minutes
120g shabu shabu beef
A bunch of chye sim or any leafy vegetable
Chopped red chillies
1. Separate the roots from the stems and leaves of the coriander. Finely chop the stems and leaves, and set aside.
2. In a frying pan, heat the oil and fry the garlic till golden. Set aside.
3. Place the water, coriander roots and beef stock cube in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the Bovril, fish sauce, light soya sauce, spring onions, and coriander stems and leaves.
4. Add 1 tbsp of fried garlic to the soup.
5. Add the noodles, shabu shabu beef and chye sim. Cook for 2 minutes.
6. To serve, divide into portions and top with 1 tsp of fried garlic each, and garnish with fried shallots, spring onions and red chillies.
For a stronger herb flavour, add parsley, basil and mint to the soup.
Recipe source: Simply Her magazine (Mar 2009)