Soya braised pork belly
This lusciously sweet and savoury dish makes the perfect indulgence on special occasions.
Ingredients (serves 4):
1 kg pork belly
4 tbsp dark soya sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp five-spice powder
2 tbsp canola oil
5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
6 shallots, finely chopped
4 star anise
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
250ml chicken stock
2 tsp salt
1. Slice the pork into 1.5cm-long strips.
2. Mix 1 tbsp of dark soya sauce with honey and five-spice powder in a bowl. Marinate the sliced pork for 1 hour.
3. In a thick bottom pan with a tight fitting lid, heat the oil until it starts to smoke. Add the garlic, shallots, star anise and brown sugar and fry till golden.
4. Reduce the heat to a medium flame. Then add the pork and marinade to the pan, and fry until the meat is browned on all sides.
5. Add the chicken stock, followed by the salt and the rest of the dark soya sauce.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil, then let it simmer in the covered pot for 2 hours, turning the meat every 30 minutes. If the sauce seems to be reducing, add a little water.
Leave the skin of the pork on - it will have a melt-in-the-mouth texture when cooked.
Recipe source: Simply Her magazine (Mar 2009)