4 slices plain or wholemeal bread
1 cup low fat milk
1 egg, beaten
50g raisins or dried cranberries
2 tbsp soft brown sugar
1. Cut bread slices into cubes, keeping crusts on. Butter or oil a square sandwich tin lightly.
2. Slowly stir beaten egg into low fat milk and whisk gently to combine. Add one tablespoon soft brown sugar and stir till dissolved.
3. Combine milk and egg mixture and bread cubes in a large mixing bowl and leave to soak until bread has soaked up the mixture completely.
4. Mix in raisins or dried cranberries into the bread mixture. Stir lightly to combine but without breaking bread cubes up.
5. Sprinkle remaining spoonful of sugar over bread cubes. Bake in pre-heated oven at 180 deg C for 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
Recipe source: Today newspaper