Prep: 2 hours
Cook: 25 minutes
Ingredients (serves 6):
350g whole green gram beans, washed and soaked for 2 hours
200g palm sugar, chopped
60g caster sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 pandan leaves, tied into a knot
200g mashed durian pulp
150ml coconut cream
1. Combine mung beans and water in a saucepan and boil till the beans turn soft and break up.
2. In the meantime, boil the palm sugar and caster sugar in the 250ml of water and strain.
3. Pour the palm sugar syrup into the pot of boiling mung beans. Add salt and pandan leaves. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the durian pulp and coconut cream. Stir to combine well and as soon as it comes to a boil, turn off heat.
5. Discard pandan leaves. Serve hot or cold.
Green gram beans are also known as mung beans. High in iron and packed with protein, mung beans are also a rich source of thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, potassium, phosphorus and an excellent source of fiber and complex carbohydrates. As eating beans can cause flatulence for some people, it is best not to cook the beans in the same water that was used for soaking.
Recipe source: Lifestyle magazine (Aug 2006)