Bacon and sweet corn chowder
Corn - Part 2.
A rich, sweet and savoury dish.
Ingredients (serves 2 to 4):
200g streaky bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 cup sweet corn kernels
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
A pinch of paprika
5 cups chicken broth
20g plain flour
1/2 cup milk
Chives, to garnish
1. In a heavy pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon, leaving about 2 tsp of bacon oil in the pot.
2. In the same pot, saute the onions until soft. Add the corn, potatoes and paprika. Stir to mix well.
3. Add the chicken broth and simmer for 20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
4. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the flour. Stir to blend evenly.
5. Add the milk a little at a time, stirring constantly to form a smooth sauce. Add the sauce to the soup to thicken it.
6. Cook for 5 minutes more, then garnish with the bacon and chives, and serve warm.
For more flavour, add diced abalone and replace half a cup of chicken stock with abalone brine.
Recipe source: Simply Her magazine (Mar 2009)